Friday, January 9, 2009

Food for thought

Cooking is a very sacred act. When we forget its sacred'ness, cooking becomes a "chore", a pain in the butt, a time sucker. There are many times I rush through it just to get it done instead of focusing my energy on what I'm doing - creating something tasty to sustain our bodies so that we can experience Life/the journey.

Last summer, I spent some time baking in this sacred, focused way....made a world of difference. It made the time I spent cooking feel sacred, spiritual, magickal (thoughts can do that ;) instead of something I was stuck doing. I want to breathe some fresh air into that practice and bring it into an almost daily event in 2009.

Here's what I did: using the example of Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

I thought about each ingredient I was adding (and even some of the actions). What did it bring to the food? What were its properties, characteristics? *I did look up some things in a few books I have to complete the list, but that's really not necessary - use your imagination, your creativity.*

Butter: life giving base (cream), persistence in work (have you ever churned butter?)
Sugar: the sweetness of Life
Eggs: healing, removing negativity
Bananers: prosperity
Flour: grounding (cute huh? flour is ground, it's good for our energy to be grounded)
Baking Powder: the power behind
Salt: purification
Baking Soda: smooth flow (ever use it in the tub? makes your skin all soft)
Chocolate Chips: bittersweet dark'ness of Life

I would just repeat the attached association as I was adding that ingredient. While I was mixing it, I imagined all of those 'things' swirling around together making magick.


My #1 goal in 2009 is to say 365 BIG FAT YES's to Me!

My #1 desire for 2009: Eat more and Better (tasting I mean)!! Forget less!!

I have an issue with eating - I wouldn't say an eating disorder, I just forget to eat or put it off cause I'm too busy painting or whatever. Tis not good for me. My body is hungry....I know, but I ignore it. I would like to focus more energy on eating things that taste good instead of things that are fast. So far in 09, I haven't done a good job at this one....but there's plenty of time. :)
My #1 gift to me in 2009! FORGET WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK!!!!

This woman just showed up on the page....I saw something in the background coloring, so I drew it with a pencil while on the phone with a friend and POOF, there she was. I like what is said about her, "She relaxed into herself when she released the craziness of worrying about "What other people think."

This is one I want BAD! I am so sick of concerning myself with what other people think about me or Who I Am. I am so sick of wasting my time in that way. I am so sick of putting pressure on me, of beating myself up, of the stress and upset associated with worrying about what other people think.

Ah, but let's end on a good note............. how about C? :)

~SAY YES~

Melissa

8 comments:

  1. "C" is a good note !

    Love your food play/love/creation ! The banana bread sounded yummy from the start but with all that love in it ? It sounds like Ambrosia -Food of the Goddesses !!!

    I care what people think somewhat but not too bad. I have a much worse judge - myself !!! My big problem is with what I think about me ! Weird but I would never, never ever treat someone cruelly like I do to myself so so often.

    This is what I am struggling with...learning to believe that I deserve all the yumminess, all the sweetness, all the care, all the beauty that this life holds - not just others - but ME ! Part of me knows I am as magickal as Melis ;-), but I keep getting in my own way...I think 2009 is going to be a big year for lessons...

    Glad for your sweetness in the world today !

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fabulous idea- yes to you and your goals, gifts, & desires!!
    Y*E*S
    the food thing makes sense- i too rush thru as it feels like a chore, BUT it doesnt have now, does it?
    the forget what other people think- this one is harder, BUT not impossible. Lots and Lots of positive self talk, and realizing they dont know you like you know you!!!
    you go girl! i'm sharing the journey right along side you!
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes, yes to your wonderful goals and desires

    and forgetting about what other people think is something I need to take on board too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to think about cooking - the associated art is great too! Maybe there should be more cookery books like this, that way if you spill any ingrediants on the page it adds to the art - or with an option of wipe clean paper! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I'm imagining the kind of kick-butt, awe-inspiring year you're going to have with those goals in mind!

    "365 BIG FAT YES's to Me!" may just be my favourite goal ever!

    And I love the way you approached the recipe! Magical indeed!

    Thanks for coming by my dreamboard. I'm glad we've connected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is making serious magic! The way you broke down each ingredient's properties is pretty darn awesome. I often try to keep focused on the act while preparing food, but I've never thought of doing it in this way. I love what I just learned from you!

    You're right... forget about what others think. Their thoughts don't matter. Only your's do (that is, manifest into matter). And besides, while we're worrying about what others are thinking about us, they're quite likely worrying about what we're thinking of them, too. YES YES YES to you!! Your wonderful self totally deserves confirmation and affirmation! You brought me much joy through your sweet, lively, encouraging, and delightful comments to me this past week! May you succeed in all of your goals for 2009 with total ease and effortlessness and great joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim - I think my thoughts about what other people think about me is wrapped up in what I think about me too. Alas, there is no words to ease our 'problem' other than the words we say to ourselves. May we both make great strides in this area THIS year!

    Sandy - You make me SMILE! :)

    Ali - I think most of us have that same problem. For some reason, my daughter doesn't. At least I raised someone who doesn't struggle with it - perhaps that says something more about me than I realize.

    Cherry Girl - That's a great idea! ;)

    Jamie - I'm saying a BIG FAT YES TO YOU! I'm glad we've connected too! YAY!

    Dreamy Girl - You're right. Hubby said to me once while I was jealous of someone else, "Someone else is probably jealous of you too." Great BIG Gratitude....you've brought that joy right back to me through your sweet, lively, encouraging, and delightful comments! It's like a Great BIG.....

    ~Circle~
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  8. um, is it a problem if I THINK YOU'RE GREAT???????

    I am going to try the mindful approach with the dishes. I need to eat LESS but think I would if I saw food the same way. Will work in both directions.

    ReplyDelete